Business Incentive/Grant Program
2019/2020 Incentive/Grant Program
Dear Business Improvement Members of Port Jefferson Village,
The Directors of the Port Jefferson BID have appropriated $20,000.00 to
assist members who are willing to invest in their businesses and properties!
Projects to upgrade or add new signage, perform façade updates or repairs, exterior painting or to install a permanent landscape project qualify for this grant initiative!
The BID is offering up to $1,000.00 per business requiring a 50% match of
funds from the applicant. Your project could be a sign replacement for $500.00 – and in this case the BID would reimburse the applicant $250.00 – or it could be a façade restoration project costing $2,600.00 and in this case the BID’s reimbursement would be capped at $1,000.00. Applications will be reviewed and awarded in chronological order by filing date. The business or property must be located within the BID district to qualify.
In addition, applications that have been selected to receive the grant awards will also have any and all application fees (if required) waived on behalf of the Village of Port Jefferson. As an example, if a new sign project is awarded, the application and permit fees would be waived for that applicant.
The Village and BID are proud to partner together to help small businesses survive and thrive in our local business districts. #portjeffmeansbusiness
Fill out the application today to get your projects qualified and started ASAP!
DOWNLOAD THE GRANT APPLICATION
Maintenance, Beautification, & Events
- Annual Earth Day Village Clean Up
- Crosswalk Signs Program 2008 & 2010
- Purchased and planted 4000 Daffodil bulbs throughout the Village – 2010
- Partnered with Port Jefferson Village to purchase 20 Big Belly Solar- powered trash compactors with matching recycling bins for bottles and glass – 5 year commitment of $5,000.00 per year, beginning 2011
- Uptown Landscaping 2011
- Economic Development Committee Funds for 2009, 2010, (including Dickens Festival, Holiday Décor, etc)
- Harvest Festival (Newsday advertising) 2009 & 2010
- Port Jefferson Hill Climb 100th Anniversary 2010
- Economic Development Committee Walking Guide 2011
- American Music Festival 2011
Current & Upcoming Projects
- Village Wide Marketing and Advertising Program includes TV, Radio and print ad’s 2011
- Movies on the Harbor 2009, 2010, 2011
- Village Beautification *Promoted the Village of Port Jefferson with a Marketing and Advertising firm 2010
- Sponsored 110 radio spots from 11/16/10 – 12/5/10, highlighting Village wide holiday events
- Purchased three Newsday Ads spotlighting a Village Holiday Calendar of Events Dec 2010
- Brookhaven Lot Out of Town Motorcycle Parking reimbursement 2011
Historic Building Identification
- 2001-2004 – The B.I.D. in conjunction with the Greater Port Jefferson Historical Society identified and marked with a plaque many of the historic buildings throughout the district. We are proud partners in preserving the historical heritage of our village.
- 2000-2004 – B.I.D. received a grant from NYS through Assemblyman Steven Englebright, to erect 45 lanterns along Main street from the train station to the harbor and west along West Broadway.
Sign and Paint Upgrade Reimbursement Program
- 1999-present – The B.I.D. will partially reimburse a member of the district who has upgraded or painted their storefront or building. Our way of being proactive and encouraging building beautification.
- 2005 – The BID has been a co-sponsor, or contributor, for many events throughout the Village including the American Music Festival, Dicken’s Festival, Patriots’ Weekend, Chalk Walk, Sidewalk Antique Sale, East Main Street events and The Holiday Festival. In 2005, we originated “Music on Main Street”.
- 2008 – Sponsored Oktoberfest, charitable event for Our Lady of Wisdom School in Port Jefferson
- 2008 – Sponsored the Celebrate Port Jeff Week, including co-sponsorship in Newsday full page advertising with merchant discounted box ads
- 2007 & 2008 – Sponsored Shop & Win Holiday Event
- 2006-2009 – The B.I.D. secured a 50/50 New York State Community Renewal Grant providing an opportunity to uptown commercial property owners for interior and exterior renovations for up $50,000 for each owner and not to exceed $200,000. Remaining funds where approved for Uptown Streetscape Program which included tree trimming, sidewalk repair, benches and waste receptacles.
- 2004 – Received a grant to resurface and reconfigure the Meadow Lot parking lot.
- 2003 – Installed flagpole on Main Street in upper Port Jefferson with grant money received through Senator Kenneth LaValle.